Hurling was being played in various pockets right throughout the parish. To to the last there was always a strong hurling tradition with the game fostering nicely in Kilcronat. They would have affiliated to the East Cork Board in 1937. Plenty playing personnel for a while with "A" and "B" teams fielding as well as an "A" grade football team. Originally starting out with green jerseys which eventually took on a white hoop.
Ned Corcoran was chairman for a while succeeded by Michael Condon. Secretary was Moss Sullivan and Jimmy Casey acted as treasurer. Their first meeting took place in a stable belonging to Bill Casey. But subsequent meetings took place were held in Mike McCarthy's cottage (now Casey's). Although not successful at championship level the team did win a few tournaments.
One such tournament v Castlemartyr at Mount Uniacke later that same year produced an exciting series of contests. Four matches were played before eventually the spoils were claimed by Castlemartyr in December of that year.
The Kilcronat team were a direct follow on from the Lacken team of the early thirties. Bur they basically disbanded following the departure of the Powers one of whom taught in the local school. Kilcronat's most famous player at that point in time was Tom McGrath, goalkeeper on the successful Cork county minor hurling team of 1939.
Hurling was also played in Currabeha to the north of the parish. Playing as John Mitchells and made up of local players in the area as well as additions from nearby Castlelyons and not far away Ballyduff. Most of their games were played in Sheehans field (now Buttimers) and a few at Modeligo (now Howard's field). They would have lasted roughly three years from circa 1938 to 1941. On one occasion they played against Bride Rovers in Dungourney. transport to and from the match was provided in an open lorry driven by Mick Keane for Gerry Canning.
Mitchells wore red and white jerseys which could very well have been sold to Watergrasshill. Among the names that lined out for them over the years were; Ned Fitzgerald, Moss Murphy, Moss Sheehan, Jim Murphy, William Fitzgerald, Batt Murphy, Garrett Sheehan, Johnny Barry, John Buckley, Eddie Buckley, Son Cotter, Arthur Cronin, Jerry Cronin, Johnny Coughlan, Dan Hoare, William Cashman, Fr. Carroll, Tom Carroll, John Daly, Ed Flynn, M. O'Riordan and Charkie Daly.
Kilcoran also had a team. Often referred to as the "Kilmedeads" and were formed roughly around 1927. Their games were played at Ardi Donoghue's cross - now Jim Kenneally's cross. Didn't have a recognised set of jerseys. While rivalry against local teams was intense. Especially against the aforementioned John Mitchells of Currabeha. Matches would have been played against Glencairn and Conna. Among the names to play with Kilcoran would be Jim kenneally, Tommy Feeney, Michael Hickey, Tom Flynn, Mick Pearse, Pierre Walsh, Edward Flynn, Dave Pearse, Dan Caples, Paddy Flynn, Joe Pearse, Mickey Caples, Din Canning, Joe Canning, Bill Canning, Michael Cashman and Martin Coughlan.
Also of interest is the fact that the hurleys were made locally, Ash, sally and hazel were used. Frank Daly from Ballyduff made many hurleys. Likewise sliotars were made by local harness makers. Among those were Halleysof Monagown, Mr. mahon and Johnny Crowley. Sliotars could also be purchased from Mrs. McGrath at Flanagans shop in Fermoy for about 3s/6d (17p). There are also recollections of hurling matches at Flynns field at Mt. Gifford.
With the demise of both Kilcoran and Currabeha it was left to local curate Fr. O'Dwyer who was instrumental in reviving hurling in Conna. Greatly helped by an able and enthusiastic local committee, Conna were affiliated to the East Cork Board in 1942. Fellow founder members included - Mick Byrne, Bill O'Mahony, Paddy Hartnett, Nicholas Walsh, Paddy Healy, Johnny Fitzgerald and John Parker. They played at Russell's field - now Barry's. With the cooperation of the Land Commission and the O'Brien family the sports field was acquired, which became known as the "Hurling Field". Having defeated Rathdrum in the semi-final, Conna were quick to make an impression. Defeating Carrigtwohill in the East Cork Junior B Final of 1944. Included ion that panel were; Mick Walsh, Jimmy Mellerick, John Fitzgerald, Billy Tobin, Johnny Byrne, Bill O'Mahony, Mick Byrne, Son Cotter, Dave Beecher, Michael O'Brien, Matt O'Riordan, Bill Carr, Gerry Cronin, William Cashman, Arthur Cronin, Dan Beecher, Dan moroney, Tom Deans, Paddy Healey, Tom Byrne, Mick Kelleher and J. Tobin.
By now Kilcronat were finding it difficult to survive. Basically for economic reasons. Even by late 1943 early 1944 steps were taken to tie up with Rathdrum. One year later, a meeting at Caseys was called with the purpose of raising funds top of the agenda. It was war time and would make sound financial sense to merge where a hall was available with 45 drives, concerts etc. being staged basically to improve the finances of the hurling club. That first meeting was held at griffin's garage in Ballynoe village. Among those attending were Owen Casey, who was now secretary of the Kilcronat club, Edward Mulcahy, Moss Sullivan, Paddy O'Keeffe and Michael Condon. While names like Jim Higgins, Mick Hegarty, Paddy Sheehan and Michael Tobin were in attendance from the Rathdrum club. Kilcronat would have previously trained at Jack Mulcahy's. But under the new set up with Rathdrum trained in seanbhaile. There was a chance to purchase this piece of land which consisted of around six acres. But found the asking price too high. It would be safe to say that this field continued to be used until around 1953. While matches were also played in John O'Keeffe's field.
Among the Kilcronat players at this time would include Ed Drake, Jack Hogan, Jack Hurley, Son Mahony and Johnny Buckley. While the Rathdrum line up would include Pad Keeffe, Ned Keeffe, Davy Keeffe, Billy Higgins, Paddy Sheehan, James Sheehan, Batty O'Regan, Jack Higgins, Johnny and Mick Hegarty, Jack Tobin, Denis and Mick Tobin, Fr. O'Donnell C.C. was chairman of the new setup with Mick Hegarty and Michael Condon, vice Chairmen. Joint secretaries were Owen Casey and Denis Tobin. Hurleys were bought at Mahonys of Killeagh and at fairs. While Eugene Roche used to make hurling balls.
This Weeks Result
(Mon, Jan 08, 2018)
13, 15, 20, 27
The jackpot of €11,200 wasn’t won. Consolation winners on the night were: Claire Kearney, Mary C Leahy, Corrin View House, Glenreigh, Ballynoe, Angela Davis, Castlebrook, Conna, Richard Higgins Kilcronay, Ballynoe and Billy O’Connell, Ballynoe. Next will be a draw for a jackpot now standing at €11,400 at The Plough, Curraglass on Monday, January 15.